Just make sure I'm around when you've finally got something to say.--Toad the Wet Sprocket

Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Wonder Woman Chronicles Continue


When we left off my daughter was just learning to appreciate Wonder Woman. Things have progressed much farther from there.  We're still watching the Linda Carter TV series with much fervor and in one of the episodes Robert Reed who plays Mike Brady on the Brady Bunch shows up as a Nazi spy.  He is one of the few actors to do a genuine German accent. Robert Logia also appears as a Nazi, but his accent comes by way of New York Italian; every word stretched out instead of the clipped German sounds. We both make fun of Major Steve Trevor who seems to need to be saved by Wonder Woman constantly and who is almost as useless as tits on a bull.

We've added The Justice League to our viewing pleasure and no I do not mean the one from the 1970s that I watched when I was her age. I won't put her through the horrors of the Wonder Twins and Gleek. I understand that there is more than one Justice League out there that is newish. We watch the one that has The Flash, Superman, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman, Hawk Girl, Vision, and sometimes Batman. I forgot how much I enjoyed Hawk Girl. Shelby is getting a real kick out of watching it.

But neither of these is what prompted me to write today. Yesterday my daughter asked for her first Barbie doll and it wasn't just any old Barbie doll, it was  Wonder Woman. We were in Wal-Mart shopping and we went down the doll aisle, because I collect red-headed dolls ever since my best friend from college bought me my first one, Irish Barbie when we were in college. That was the first redheaded Barbie I had ever seen. I had grown up with the blonde Barbies and seeing other girls dyeing their hair blonde because that's what guys liked. Or so I was told and led to believe. It was impossible to dye my hair blonde without using Clorox so I was stuck with a hair color that guys did not find attractive. At least not in high school. College would be a different story. What, as a child I would not have given to have had a Barbie that looked like me. So when they finally started making them, I started to collect them.

So we went down that aisle so I could look to see if they had any new redheaded Barbie dolls and my daughter spotted Wonder Woman and even though it's almost Christmas she begged me to get her this doll. There weren't many left so instead of coming back later and getting it for a Christmas gift, I just bought it for her outright. An early Christmas gift. I couldn't resist as my little tomboy has never asked me for a doll before. She told me she wants to collect the whole DC Universe set: Heroes and Villains. I didn't tell her I already had Poison Ivy and Batgirl because both dolls were redheaded because then she'd steal them from me. She stole an Ariel doll from me once when I brought it home from the store. I never said she didn't have a Barbie doll. Just that she's never asked for one. And she quickly tired of Ariel. Will she quickly tire of Wonder Woman too? I don't know. She hasn't so far. And if she decides to spend her money on getting another doll to play with she may play with both of them together. A hero versus a villain.   I'm so proud that out of all the Barbie dolls she could choose from my daughter chose Wonder Woman.  

No comments:

Post a Comment