Just make sure I'm around when you've finally got something to say.--Toad the Wet Sprocket

Tuesday, January 3, 2017

More Than a Princess


I grew up with her as Princess Leia Organa who kicked ass from one end of the galaxy to the other. But that wasn't my only favorite role that she had. I loved her as Besty Faye Sharon when she shows up in the movie Soapdish for the first time and Elizabeth Shue tells her "Hi. Uh, I'm Lori Craven and...I'm and actress." and then Fisher responds with "An actress! Really! How Nice for you! I'm Betsy Faye Sharon and I'm a bitch. Now get out of here."  And of course as Marie when Harry Met Sally and gave off this classic line to describe to Sally a woman Harry's seeing: Thin, pretty, big tits. Your basic nightmare.

But she was more than an actress to me. She was an inspiration and a role model. Carrie Fisher was manic depressive and I am too, though for me that is hard to admit to. The stigma is still there. The crazy label I got from childhood when I had dysthymia, a form of chronic depression that I had for twelve years right before I became manic depressive, still burns. So I tend to tell no one unless they are to become close friends that I am manic depressive because I don't want to deal with the label and all that entails. But Carrie Fisher didn't care about that. She told the world and said damn the consequences. She did this at a time when the stigma was even more hurtful. She probably wouldn't consider it a brave act, but I do. Because people judge you on these things.

She helped her mother, Debbie Reynolds (who died days after Carrie) raise money for her charity the Thalians which was founded by Reynolds and others in 1955 to promote awareness and treatment of mental health issues.

Anyways. I think she was happy in being in London when she died. It was one of her favorite places to be. "I feel in love with London while I was at school there and have never fallen out. I love their being as bound up in their history as they are, preserving their buildings instead of razing them to the ground to make way for another big beige building with lots of windows to throw yourself from. I love its accents, its exchange rates, its idiosyncratic friendly behavior, its museums, its parks you need keys for, and its colas without ice. If I can forgive a place for not making ice a priority as part of their lifestyle, that's true love." (The Princess Diarist p 67).

I will remember a woman who was fearless even when she was afraid. A woman took like by the horns and rode it for all that it was worth. Someone who never let anyone stop her or keep her down. Something more than a Princess or a General. A hero.

No comments:

Post a Comment